What could happen if I hire an unlicensed contractor?
- We will not hold you responsible if you unknowingly hire an unlicensed contractor
- If you knowingly hire an unlicensed contractor, you could be charged with aiding and abetting as well as assessed a fine of up to $500
- If you have a problem with the work done by the unlicensed individual, there is little that the County or State can do to help you
What are the penalties for working without a license?
If a contractor is caught working without a license they can receive the following penalties
- Fine of up to $2000 per violation
- Arrested and charged with acting as a contractor without being properly licensed
Where can I get my contractor license and what trades require one?
Check out our Contractor licensing
section for requirements for licensing in Hillsborough County and reciprocation with other counties.
What is a business tax receipt?
Business Tax Receipts, formerly known as Occupational Licenses, are issued by the Tax Collector's Office. These are not the same thing as a contractor's license.