This Committee was created to provide advice and recommendations to curb and eliminate all forms of bullying throughout Hillsborough County, Florida.
Anti-Bullying Recognition Award
The Hillsborough County Anti-Bullying Advisory Committee is currently accepting nominations for the inaugural Anti-Bullying Recognition Award.
You can nominate youth or groups of youth (up to age 19) for recognition of their outstanding efforts to further eliminate all forms of bullying affecting young people in the community.
We will recognize each recipient for their actions and accomplishments demonstrating significant activist and/or advocacy efforts on behalf of the community to address bullying or cyberbullying here in Hillsborough County.
- The nominee must be living and either:
- currently live and/or attend school in Hillsborough County
- have lived and/or attended school in Hillsborough County during the time of their outstanding achievements
- The nominee must be a youth or group of youths (ages up to 19) who has contributed exemplary effort in developing programs, campaigns, interventions or other activities to:
- Increase awareness or understanding of the causes and consequences of bullying
- Stop or reduce the incidence of bullying or cyberbullying in their local schools, neighborhoods, or the County at large
- Provide outreach to encourage or build a positive school or community:or
- Address the needs of victims of bullying or cyberbullying
- Nominations are limited to those individuals or groups whose actions directly and primarily address bullying or cyberbullying
- The nominee cannot be a current member of the Hillsborough County Anti-Bullying Advisory Committee
- Multiple nominations for the same person or group will be ranked as one nomination
We will announce the winners and have an awards presentation at a Board of County Commission meeting in the fall.
Deadline for nominations: June 30, 2018
Documents and useful links
- Cyber Bullying Know the Facts (English)
- Cyber Bullying Know the Facts (Espanol)
- Cyber Bullying Facts and Resources for Parents (English)
- Cyber Bullying Facts and Resources for Parents (Espanol)
- Submit a tip via Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office TIP411
- Submit a tip via Crimestoppers
- Bully Free Communities - Facebook
- 2017 Anti-Bullying Advisory Committee Narrative
The membership of this Committee shall be appointed by the BOCC and shall be comprised of 13 members. Composition is specified as follows:
Seven members will represent the following governing bodies:
- City of Tampa Police Department, designated by the Chief
- Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Department, designated by the Sheriff
- Florida Department of Children and Families, designated by Regional Director
- Hillsborough County School Board
- Hillsborough County Children’s Services Department psychologist or mental health counselor, designated by the Director
- University of South Florida College of Education or the Louis de la Parte Mental Health Institute, designated by President of USF
- Department of Juvenile Justice Hillsborough County Neighborhood Accountability Board in the Thirteenth Judicial Circuit, designated by Director of Court Programs
Six members shall represent the following categories:
- 2 - Child welfare advocacy organization such as Guardian Ad Litem, Parent Teacher Association, Parent Teacher Organization, Boys and Girls Club, Joshua House, YMCA, YWCA, or other such organizations
- Private sponsor(s) selected to participate with the County in the Anti-Bullying initiative
- An organization who works directly with troubled youth such as those with emotional or mental handicaps
- 2 - Members at-large
Members shall serve three year terms; initially staggered. Governing body representatives shall serve at the pleasure of the appointing body or person.
Subject to F.S. 286.011, also known as the Sunshine Law.
Appointment to this Committee is contingent upon passing a criminal background check.
BOCC Resolution No. R09-00, adopted August 5, 2009.
Every other month, 4th Thursday, 10:00 a.m.
Florida Department of Children and Families
Suncoast Region Office
9393 N. Florida Avenue
Tampa, FL 33612
County Center, 24th Floor
601 E. Kennedy Blvd.
Tampa, FL 33602
Phone: (813) 276-2033
|Member||Position||Dates of Service|
|Mr. Thomas Avino||Private Sponsor Participating in the Anti-Bullying Initiative||02/21/2018 -
|Ms. Laurette Blake||BOCC - At-Large Member||03/01/2017 -
|Ms. Tanly Cabrera
||HC Public Schools
|Ms. Roxanne Council||Florida Department of Children and Families|
|Ms. Ashley Lord||BOCC - Child Welfare Advocacy Organization||03/01/2017 -
|Dr. Tom Massey||University of South Florida|
|Ms. Maggie Pines
||Department of Juvenile Justice - 13th Judicial Circuit|
|Ms. Abeba Salter-Woods||BOCC - At-Large Member||10/21/2015 -
|Ms. Angie Toledo Vazquez||BOCC - Representative from an organization that works directly with troubled youth||08/16/2017 -
|Ms. Jeannie Willsie
||Hillsborough County Children's Services Department Representative|
|BOCC - Child Welfare Advocacy Organization|
|City of Tampa Police Department|
|Hillsborough County Sheriff's Department|