Location and Hours
Fall/Winter: 8 AM - 6 PM
$2 per vehicle. Up to 8 people per vehicle. Rentals are extra.
In 1848, settler James Alderman built his homestead south of the Alafia River in Lithia. He fashioned a crossing by cutting down the steep banks of the river, creating Alderman’s Ford. This historic site is now home to Alderman’s Ford Conservation Park, a hot spot for hikers and nature enthusiasts. The park's most popular attraction is a 1.9 mile paved loop that follows the north and south prongs of the Alafia River-- one of the most popular canoe spots in the state. The loop, which is hiker, dog walker, and bicycle friendly, links with a boardwalk and foot bridges, leading into shaded woods of gigantic cypress and oak trees. Visit Alderman's Ford Conservation Park and enjoy a day of birdwatching, fishing or hiking the lush woods. The park also hosts four remote campsites for anyone seeking a real wilderness experience without going too far from home.
Canoe launch entrance information
The canoe launch entrance is located at 9625 Canoe Launch Loop Lithia, FL 33547. The launch entrance opens daily at 7 a.m. to allow joggers and walkers early access to the park.
Primitive camping at Alderman's Ford Conservation Park
Primitive campsites can be reserved by calling the park office at (813) 757-3801. These remote sites have a picnic table, hammock stands, and fire pits. There is no water or electricity. An approximately 1 to 1.5 mile hike is required to reach the sites. Restroom facilities (no showers) are located approximately one-half mile from the sites.
- Swimming is not permitted anywhere in the park.
- There is no electric at the shelters, and generators are not allowed.
- Dogs are allowed in the park, but must be on a 6-inch hand held leash at all times.
- Alcohol and intoxicated people are not permitted in the park.
- Pets, bicycles and skateboards are not permitted on the boardwalk
- Bird Watching
- Canoe/Kayak Launch
- Hiking Trail
- Picnic Tables
- The canoe launch is temporarily closed (posted 7/3/18)
- The paved trail at Alderman's Ford Conservation Park will be closed during the weekdays from April 16, 2018 thru September 2018 for construction to the boardwalk. The trail will be open for use on the weekends.
For more details, please call the park at (813) 757-3801.