Free Tire Disposal and Mosquito Fish Giveaway this Weekend
Hillsborough County, Fla. (Sept. 21, 2016) - Residents will have another opportunity this weekend to help prevent mosquito breeding in and around their homes. Hillsborough County Solid Waste is partnering with the Florida Department of Environmental Protection (FDEP) for a free residential tire collection on Saturday, Sept. 24 from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. at two locations. The tire collection is open to all residents of Hillsborough County, including those in Tampa, Plant City, and Temple Terrace. A photo ID showing residency in Hillsborough County is required.
- South County Transfer Station at 13000 U.S. Highway 41 in Gibsonton
- Hillsborough Heights Community Collection Center at 6209 County Road 579 in Seffner
- Each participating residential vehicle will be allowed to dispose of up to 12 tires
- Commercial businesses are prohibited from participating in this event
- Tires from commercial vehicles will not be accepted
- Tires with or without rims will be accepted
Additionally, the Hillsborough County Mosquito Control Unit will be giving away mosquito fish at the Gibsonton location, while supplies last.
Avoiding mosquito bites is the best protection against mosquito-borne illness. Here's how you can help remove mosquito breeding habitats in residential areas:
- Drain water from garbage cans, gutters, pool covers, coolers, toys, flower pots, or any other containers where water has collected.
- Discard old tires, drums, bottles, cans, pots and pans, broken appliances, and other items that aren't being used.
- Empty and Clean birdbaths and pets' water bowls at least once a week.
- Protect boats and vehicles from rain with tarps that don't accumulate water.
- Maintain the water balance (pool chemistry) of swimming pools. Empty plastic swimming pools when not in use. Repair broken screens on windows, doors, porches, and patios.
The free residential tire disposal event is hosted by Hillsborough County's Public Works Department Solid Waste Division, in partnership with the Resource Management Rapid Response Team and the FDEP. For more information, visit HCFLGov.net/SolidWaste or call (813) 272-5680.