More Sandbag Locations Announced; All Open Thursday
Hillsborough County, Fla. (Sept. 6, 2017) – In preparation for Hurricane Irma, Hillsborough County will open four additional sandbag sites at 2 p.m. today. All locations will be open until 8 p.m. today and tomorrow from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Residents and visitors are urged to follow their emergency plan and make preparations.
The County has activated its Emergency Operations Center to allow County and partner agencies to better coordinate resources and operations.
Sandbags are now available at seven County Public Works Service Units until 8 p.m. today and tomorrow from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. as weather permits.
- West Service Unit - 9805 Sheldon Road in Tampa
- South Service Unit - 8718 Old Big Bend Road in Gibsonton
- East Service Unit - 4702 Sydney Road in Plant City
- Ed Radice Park – 14720 Ed Radice Drive in Tampa
- South County Community Collection Center – 13000 US Highway 41 in Gibsonton
- Hillsborough Heights Community Collection Center – 6209 CR 579 in Seffner
- Central Service Unit – 4115 South 66th Street in Tampa
Materials will be available for Hillsborough County residents to make their own sandbags. Residents are encouraged to bring their own shovels to prepare the sandbags. Each resident must sign their name and provide their home address acknowledging the receipt of 25 sandbags per household or less. For instructions on how to use sandbags properly, go to HCFLGov.net/StaySafe.
• Hillsborough County Public Schools have announced closures for Thursday, Sept. 7 and Friday, Sept. 8. For information, contact Hillsborough County Public Schools at (813) 272-4000.
• All Tampa-Hillsborough County Public Library events have been cancelled Friday, Sept. 8 through Tuesday, Sept. 12.
Shelters and Evacuations
Hillsborough County has not opened any shelters or issued any evacuations at this time.
Hillsborough County reminds residents and visitors to be mindful of businesses or individuals engaging in price gouging. Reports should be made by contacting the Attorney General’s hotline at (866) 966-7226, or by filing a complaint with Hillsborough County at HCFLGov.net.
The State of Florida’s price gouging law prohibits extreme consumer cost increases in essential commodities such as food, fuel, ice, hotels, lumber, and water. Unlicensed contractors also face additional charges, and protections remain in effect for the duration of the declared emergency.
For more information, contact Hillsborough County Consumer & Veterans Services at (813) 635-8316.
Trash, Recycling, and Yard Waste Collection
Curbside trash, recycling, and yard waste collection for County customers will continue while weather conditions permit.
Take garbage and recycling items that will not fit in your carts to one of the designated Community Collection Centers (CCC)* located at:
- Alderman’s Ford CCC - 9402 County Road 39 in Plant City
- Hillsborough Heights CCC - 6209 County Road 579 in Seffner
- Northwest County CCC - 8001 W. Linebaugh Ave in Tampa
- South County CCC - 13000 US Highway 41 in Gibsonton
*Bring a copy of your recent tax bill and photo ID
The County’s Yard Waste Processing Collection Sites accept residential bulk yard waste material. There is no charge to access the centers. Bring a photo ID and current property tax bill showing the Solid Waste collection and disposal assessments.
The Yard Waste Processing Collection Sites are open Monday through Friday, from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Northwest - 8001 W. Linebaugh Ave. in Tampa
- South County - 13000 U.S. 41 in Gibsonton
- Resource Recovery Facility - 350 N. Falkenburg Road in Tampa
For more information, call (813) 272-5900.
Get Connected. Stay Alert.
Make sure to have a plan. Residents and visitors are encouraged to register for HCFL Alert, Hillsborough County’s official public notification system for emergency and urgent alerts. To receive messages by email, phone, and text, go to HCFLGov.net/StaySafe.
Communications & Digital Media