Maria Survivors Can Find Resources at Irma Recovery Center
Hillsborough County, Fla. (Oct. 6, 2017) - Hurricane Maria survivors who have come to Hillsborough County can find out about federal, state, and local programs and services available to help them by visiting the same local Disaster Recovery Center opened for those persons impacted by Hurricane Irma.
The Disaster Recovery Center at The Regent, 6437 Watson Road in Riverview, is open seven days a week from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Appointments are not necessary.
More than a dozen agencies are providing resources at the center, including:
- Federal Emergency Management Administration
- U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA)
- Florida Department of Children and Families
- Florida Department of Health
- Hillsborough County Aging Services
- Hillsborough County Affordable Housing Services
- Hillsborough County Health Care Services
- Hillsborough County Homeless Services
- Hillsborough County Social Services
- American Red Cross
- Career Source Tampa Bay
- Central Florida Behavioral Health Network
- Senior Connection from Area Agency on Aging
Types of assistance are determined on a case-by-case basis. Disaster assistance may include grants to help homeowners and renters pay for temporary housing, essential home repairs, personal property replacement, human services, and other disaster-related needs.
For federal assistance, the registration process is the first step in recovery and requires information such as insurance policies, and bank information for possible direct transfer of funds. FEMA encourages residents to register before they visit the Disaster Recovery Center. To register, go to DisasterAssistance.gov, through the FEMA mobile app available in the Apple App Store or Google Play, or call (800) 621-3362, which is video relay service accessible. (TTY: (800) 462-7585.) Helpline hours are 7 a.m. to 11 p.m., seven days a week. Survivors requiring a reasonable accommodation such as American Sign Language interpreting, Braille, large print, etc., while visiting the Disaster Recovery Center may call the helpline for support.