Mosquito Control Spraying - May 20 in the Hookers Point Area
Hillsborough County, Fla. (May 19, 2017) - Hillsborough County Mosquito Control will treat the Hookers Point area on Saturday, May 20, between 8:15 p.m. and 1 a.m. by air. The product Dibrom will be used to control adult mosquitoes on roughly 10,414 acres. If weather or mechanical issues prevent this treatment Saturday, the mission will be rescheduled for Sunday, May 21, or Monday, May 22, between 8:15 p.m. and 1 a.m.
The boundaries of the area to be sprayed are:
- North Boundary: Selmon Expressway
- South Boundary: Riverview Drive
- East Boundary: South 78th Street
- West Boundary: Hillsborough Bay (body of water)
The spraying will be done by a Twin Engine Piper Aztec airplane at an altitude of 300 feet.
For more information on this spraying, contact Hillsborough County Mosquito Control at (813) 635-5400.
Stop Mosquitoes from Living and Multiplying Around Your Home
Residents may have standing water around their homes that can support the breeding of mosquitoes. Follow these tips from the Florida Department of Health to help prevent mosquito breeding:
- Drain water from garbage cans, house gutters, pool covers, coolers, toys, flower pots, buckets, watering cans, kiddie pools, and any other containers where rainwater has collected.
- Discard old tires, drums, bottles, cans, pots and pans, broken appliances, and other items that may collect water.
- Clean out rain gutters and downspouts regularly.
- Empty and clean birdbaths and pet water bowls at least once or twice a week.
- Protect boats and vehicles from rain with tarps that do not accumulate water.
- Keep swimming pools in good condition, and maintain chlorination.
For more information on the Hillsborough County Mosquito Control Unit and tips on preventing or reducing mosquitoes, visit HCFLGov.net/Mosquito.Media Contact:
Michelle Van Dyke
Communications & Digital Media
Desk: (813) 272-5305
Cell: (813) 352-2962