Youth Affordable Healthy Eating Workshops
Hillsborough County, Fla. (Feb. 23, 2018) - Hillsborough County is partnering with Junior Chefs of America and the Community Action Partnership to host Youth Affordable Healthy Eating Workshops, a series of four free sessions to empower families and youth to eat right and overcome health barriers.
These hands-on, interactive workshops will use healthy whole foods in conjunction with community partners and resources to establish the foundation for a strong, affordable healthy eating program that endures in the classrooms, school cafeterias, and at home. Each of the four workshops will focus on a different topic, and will take place at the Oaks at Riverview Community Center, 110 E. Kirby Street in Tampa. The workshop dates are:
- Session 1: Saturday, March 17
- Session 2: Saturday, June 9
- Session 3: Saturday, September 29
- Session 4: Saturday, November 10
Workshop doors open at 10 a.m., and program activities will run from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
The workshops will allow 120 Hillsborough County youth (ages 4 to 17 years old) to participate in the following activities:
- Learning to plan affordable healthy meals and plan for an active healthier future
- STEAM (Science, Technology, English, Arts and Math) curriculum integration
- Interactive youth cooking demonstration
- Aprons, tote bags, and chef hats for youth to design and keep
The Youth Affordable Health Eating Workshops are funded by a Community Services Block Grant (CSBG), and are open to eligible families within Hillsborough County who meet free and reduced lunch guidelines.
Families can learn more and reserve a spot for their teen by emailing Marie Theodore or calling her at (813) 277-1649. The registration deadline is Friday, March 2, 2018.