Posted January 31, 2017 | 1:35 PM
County Honors Heroic Actions by Firefighters
Board's quarterly awards recognize departments and local residents' community service
The Hillsborough County Board of County Commissioners presented its first 2017 Quarterly Awards & Recognitions Ceremony on Jan. 26. Two recognitions were presented to Fire Rescue workers whose bravery and quick thinking led them to save the lives of their fellow County residents during extreme circumstances.
The recipients of the January 26 Quarterly Awards include:
- Capt. Brian Stairs - A member of Hillsborough County Fire Rescue, Capt. Brian Stairs saved the lives of three children from a burning car, which earned him the Firefighter of the 1st Quarter award.
- Capt. Michael Bugg - Awarded as the Lifesaver of the 1st Quarter, Hillsborough County Fire Rescue Capt. Michael Bugg was off duty when he helped saved the life of a critically injured person.
- Hillsborough County Parks & Recreation - Parks & Recreation earned its CAPRA Standards accreditation from the National Recreation and Park Association for its hard work in assuring County parks are efficient and safe for public use.
- Ray Reed - Retired County employee Ray Reed received a commendation for his work in restoring the historic Cemetery for All People.
- Earl A. Pfeiffer -Earl Pfeiffer received a commendation for his efforts in housing low- to moderate- income families, work that also earned him the Housing Assistance Council's Skip Jason Community Service Award.
- Hillsborough County Public Utilities - The Board honored Public Utilities for its win in the Florida Section of the American Water Works Association's 2016 Water Distribution System Award for Outstanding System Operation and Maintenance.
- The Hampton Terrace Neighborhood Association - A neighborhood association who has educated its residents through year-round programs and initiatives, the Hampton Terrace Neighborhood Association was given a commendation for its hard work.