Tone Your Body, Tighten Your Budget at County Gyms
Want to get in shape or stay trim without breaking the bank? Hillsborough County can help.
Six community and recreation centers have fitness centers with the basic equipment you need. The cost? Ten dollars a month, much less than you might pay elsewhere to use similar equipment - dumbbells and barbells, weight machines, and cardio equipment.
County residents wishing to use the fitness centers must register and have an account. To sign up, and for more information, you'll need to create a Parks and Recreation account.Go here and create an account
Join one County fitness center and you may use all six of them. Go as often as you'd like.
The fitness centers are scattered throughout Hillsborough County. So there likely is one near you.
Here are the centers and their days/hours of operation:
- All People's Life Center, 6105 E. Sligh Ave., Tampa. Open 8 a.m.-9 p.m., Monday-Friday; and 8 a.m.-6 p.m. on Saturday
- Apollo Beach Recreation Center, 664 Golf and Sea Blvd., Apollo Beach. Open 10 a.m.-8:30 p.m., Monday-Friday; and 10 a.m.-2 p.m. on Saturday
- Emanuel P. Johnson Recreation Center, 5855 S. 78th St., Tampa. Open 11 a.m.-8:30 p.m., Monday-Thursday; 1-8:30 p.m. on Friday; 9 a.m.-1:30 p.m. on Saturday
- Gardenville Recreation Center, 6219 Symmes Road, Gibsonton. Open 8:30 a.m. to 9 p.m., Monday-Friday; and 9 a.m.-2 p.m. on Saturday
- Jackson Springs Recreation Center, 8620 Jackson Springs Road, Tampa. Open 9 a.m.-8:30 p.m., Monday-Friday; and 9 a.m.-4 p.m. on Saturday
- Ruskin Recreation Center, 901 Sixth Street SE, Ruskin. Open 9 a.m.-8:30 p.m., Monday-Friday; and 9 a.m.-1:30 p.m. on Saturday
All recreation centers are staffed. They are closed on Sunday.
Alex Rodriguez is a regular at Apollo Beach Recreation Center's fitness facility. For the past two or three years he has worked out at the facility up to five days a week, Monday through Friday.
Alex used to belong to a for-profit fitness center. Membership there was more than three times the County's $10 monthly fee, and the Rec Center's equipment is similar. "They have all the equipment that you need for normal exercise routines," Alex says.
Want more stories like this delivered to your inbox?
Subscribe to the Friday 5