File a Discrimination Complaint

File a Complaint Online

Jump to:



If a person or business has discriminated against you because of your race, color, gender, age, national origin, religion, disability, marital status, familial status, sexual orientation, or gender identity or expression, the Hillsborough County Human Rights Ordinance protects you and you can file a complaint with the Equal Opportunity Administrator's Office (EOA).


  • Must live in unincorporated Hillsborough County, Temple Terrace, or Plant City
  • Discrimination Involves one of the following classes:
    • race
    • color
    • gender
    • age
    • national origin
    • religion
    • disability
    • marital status
    • familial status
    • sexual orientation
    • gender identity or expression


There are no fees associated with filing a complaint.


  • A possible resolution with relief to the discrimination issue
    • Please note that filing a complaint does not guarantee a resolution or any restitution
  • Bring attention to the issue so others are not discriminated against

Things To Consider

For the following complaint types*, you must file within 180 days of the incident. You can file those claims from this page using the link to the Intake Questionnaire and Rights and Responsibility form found in the How To section OR by clicking the File a Complaint button at the top or bottom of the page.
  • County Contracting and Procurement Activities
    • Procurement Activities under the control of the Hillsborough County Board of County Commissioners
  • Credit Extension Practices
    • All aspects of a credit transaction
  • Employment
    •  All employment practices are covered
    • Employers with five or more employees working thirty (30) or more hours per week are covered by the ordinance
    • Existing Federal laws cover state and Federal employees, and these employees may file complaints through the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) or the Florida Commission on Human Relations (FCHR)
    • Employees of the State of Florida should contact the EEOC
  • Public Accommodations
    • No person may be refused admittance, service or provided different conditions of service in any facility that is open to the public and licensed by the Division of Alcoholic Beverages and Tobacco, Department of Business Regulation or Hillsborough County
    • Exemptions include membership clubs or other establishments not open to the public
  • *Real Estate Transactions and Practices
    • You must file complaints concerning real estate transactions and practices within one year of the incident
    • You can file those claims from this page using the same method as above

Housing Complaints

  • Housing complaints are covered by the federal Fair Housing Act
  • To file a Fair Housing complaint, visit our housing complaints page
  • You must file the complaint within one year of the incident

Discrimination Inside Tampa City Limits

  • If the discriminatory incident happened with the city limits of Tampa, call their Office of Human Rights and Community Services at (813) 274-5835

How To

  1. Gather information about the incident
    • Date
    • Address where discrimination/harassment took place
    • Name, address and phone of person/business that you feel discriminated against you
    • Respondents reason for the behavior, if they gave any
    • Witness information (if any)
    • Description of event
  2. Determine what you would like to see happen as a result of this review
  3. Complete the Intake Questionnaire and Rights and Responsibility form either onlineor download and print it out
    • If you download and print the form out, you can mail or fax the completed and signed questionnaire and form to the EOA Office
      Hillsborough County Equal Opportunity Administrator Office
      700 E. Twiggs Street, Suite 830
      Tampa, FL 33602
      (813) 276-2217

What's Next

  1. Our EOA office will contact you after we receive the complaint and determine if the allegations are covered by the Hillsborough County Human Rights Ordinance 
  2. If we determine the allegations are covered, we will send you a packet of information
  3. We will start the investigation and work with both parties to resolve the dispute

Get Help

(813) 272-6554