Register for Special Needs Disaster Assistance
Residents with special needs, seniors, and those without transportation require extra attention to stay safe during a tropical storm or hurricane. Hillsborough County has programs in place to help these residents prepare and find safe shelter and transportation.
Things To Consider
- A special needs shelter is a temporary emergency facility capable of providing care to residents whose medical condition may require the use of electrical equipment, oxygen, dialysis, or individuals with physical, cognitive, or medical conditions who may require assistance from medical professionals. Although special needs shelters provide more care than a general shelter, they do not provide the level of care found in a medical facility.
- If you need a ride to a shelter, arrangements will be made with Sunshine Line to pick you up and take you to your assigned shelter.
The service is free
To register for a special needs shelter or transportation, select one of the following options:
- Call the Hillsborough County Health Department at (813) 307-8063
- Call your home health care provider
- Complete an evaluation form and mail or fax to:
Hillsborough County Health Department
P.O. Box 5135
Tampa, FL 33675-5135
*This is a fillable PDF form and may not open correctly with some browsers, such as Chrome or Firefox. Please download the form, then open it using a PDF reader, such as Adobe Acrobat Reader. Download the Adobe PDF reader for free.