At Your Service 24/7
Go To Search
Wild & Farm Animals

Hillsborough County Animal Safety and Enforcement does NOT trap or relocate animals, and does not lend or rent animal traps; traps are available for purchase at hardware stores. There are also professionals available for hire to perform this service. Concerns about wildlife such as alligators, panthers and other wildlife should be directed to Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.


Wildlife contact reporting and public education are provided by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission (FWC).

Removal of Dead Animals from Roadways

  • In unincorporated Hillsborough County, call Code Enforcement: 813-274-6600
  • In Tampa, call the City's Sanitation Department: 813-348-1126
  • In Plant City, call: 813-757-9209
  • In Temple Terrace, call: 813-989-7170
  • On state roads or Interstate Highways, call the Florida Department of Transportation:

For local or regional information or regarding alligators, contact the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission’s Southwest Florida Regional Office at 863-648-3200. For statewide information, call the FWC’s Nuisance Gator Hotline at 1-866-392-4286.


Coyote attacks on people are extremely rare, but they have occurred in other parts of the country. It is best to keep pets indoors, especially at night, when coyotes are most active.

Coyotes are mostly afraid of human contact. So, if you do come in contact with a coyote, use negative reinforcement to let them know that they are not welcome. Make loud noises, clap your hands, yell, throw rocks, use air horns, or spray them with a garden hose to scare them away.

More information on coyotes is available from these resources: 

Wild Hogs

Wild or feral hogs generally avoid humans and are not considered dangerous to people or pets. But, they do possess great speed and razor-like tusks. Wild hogs may become aggressive and defensive if injured, cornered, trapped, have young or are otherwise threatened.

Attempts to prevent wild pigs from coming onto property are usually futile, but adequate fencing can help keep them out of small yards and gardens. On private property, nuisance pigs may be trapped year round - see the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services' Regulations for Trapping and Transporting Feral Swine (2.6MB).

  • More information on wild hogs is available from these resources:
  • FWC Exotic Animal
  • FWC wild hog species overview 
  • You can also download valuable resources here

Agricultural/Farm Animals
For concerns related to agricultural animals such as horses and livestock, contact the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office Special Agricultural Unit at 813-247-8605.

Large Animals
Concerns about large animals, such as those involved with traveling circus shows, fall within the jurisdiction of the United States Department of Agriculture. Please all 1-866-486-3297 or 1-800-545-8732 for assistance.

Nuisance Animals

The Thirteenth Judicial Circuit Court of Florida provides free community mediation for neighbor disputes over nuisance animals/pets at:

  • South Shore Community Justice Center at 813-672-7442 
  • Mediation and Diversion Services in downtown Tampa at 813-272-5642

Trapped Animals
Hillsborough County Animal Services does NOT trap or relocate animals, and does not lend or rent animal traps; traps are available for purchase at hardware stores. There are also professionals available for hire to perform this service.

Residents who have trapped an animal can bring it to the Animal Services Department during normal hours, or they can request that Animal Services pick it up. After contacting the department and requesting the animal be picked up, place the animal in a safe area, out of direct sunlight or other elements, with a note on the cage giving the officer permission to go on property for the removal. Use caution in handling any caged animal.

Some animals that have been humanely captured may be returned to the wild, but the law forbids the return of other non-native species to the wild. For more information, contact the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission at 1-888-404-3922.

↑ Top