Agriculture has new fields today that focus on using technology and management systems to increase production of food, medicine, consumer products and energy. These fields strive to use technologies and techniques that are safe for people and the environment.
New areas in agriculture include:
- Precision Agriculture
- Energy Crops
- Food Science and Technology
- Community Supported Agriculture
- Environmental Protection
Agriculture is a Growing Job Market
The technical and management skills you acquired in the military could put you in an excellent position to start a new career. Agriculture today has many career options, including sales professionals, UAV specialists, mechanics, managers, and teachers.
High-growth occupations in agriculture include:
- Farm & Ranch Managers
- Environmental Compliance Inspectors
- Precision Agriculture Technicians
- Farm Equipment Mechanics & Service Technicians
- Agriculture & Food Science Technicians
- Agricultural Science Teachers
Local agricultural education and training resources:
- Military Agriculture Tours allow participants to explore career options available with local agribusinesses. For more information, contact Economic Development at (813) 276-2735.
- University of Florida, Plant City - Bachelor of Science degrees in Geomatics, Agricultural Education, and Agricultural Communication and Leadership Development. Contact Erin Nessmith at (813) 757-2280
- Hillsborough Community College - Associates degrees in Agriculture in Environmental Science and Computer Science, as well as certification programs in many other fields.
- UF/IFAS Extension--Hillsborough County (813) 744-5519
State agricultural education and training resources:
- University of Florida College of Agricultural and Life Sciences (352) 392-1365
- Florida A & M University College of Agriculture and Food Sciences (850) 599-3796