Locksmith services businesses operating in Hillsborough County must apply for a biennial license prior to conducting business in Hillsborough County. The Locksmith Services Businesses Ordinance applies to those locksmith services businesses that operate in unincorporated Hillsborough County, and the cities of Tampa, Temple Terrace, and Plant City.
Locksmith License Application and Renewal Instructions and Forms
- Application and Instructions for Locksmith Services Businesses Fillable Application | Printable Application
- Verify your SunBiz profile is active and correct prior to submitting applications or renewals
- Ensure your Business Tax documents are completed prior to submitting applications or renewals
- NOTE: If your business address and business tax receipt are from another county (i.e. Pasco, Pinellas, etc.) but your business provides service in Hillsborough County you may provide that documentation with your application
- Removal of Employee Form (must be submitted immediately when an employee is no longer employed)
- Addition of Employee Form (must be submitted when a new employee has been hired)
Locksmith Employee Fingerprint Requirements
We require locksmith businesses to submit fingerprints of all employees for a background check.
Information on employee fingerprint scanning:
Along with biennial licensing and employee background checks, all licensed locksmith services businesses must comply with the following:
- Service vehicle must be properly identified
- Locksmith must wear a company employee badge on all service calls
- A copy of the locksmith license must always be maintained in the service vehicle
- Business must maintain commercial general liability insurance coverage of at least $500,000 per incident
- Related Resources
Complaints can be filed electronically using the link below. For best results, provide evidence and specific details about what occurred, how much was paid to the company, and any other evidence to support your claim.Report a Complaint
For more information, email Hillsborough County Code Enforcement Regulatory Compliance at RegComp@HCFLGov.net or call 272-7400 ext 36004.
Note: Many of the documents that are available on the website are in PDF format. These files may require a PDF reader such as Adobe Reader to view the contents.