Apply for a Hillsborough County Contractor License

Jump to:



If you want to perform construction-related work or operate a construction-related businesses in Hillsborough County, you must have a license. If you already have a state license, you can register that with us instead of going through our process.


Type of License Application Fee Register/Renewal Fee
State Certified Contractors ONLY  N/A  N/A
State Registered (Local) Contractors
Local Specialty and State Registered (Certificate of Competency)
 $280  $140 – 2 year cycle (renewal & inactive status)
Journeyman (Electrician & Plumber)  $150  $70 – 2 year cycle
Reinstatement of State Registered (Local) Contractors
Local Specialty and State Registered (Certificate of Competency)
 $280  If approved: $140 – 2 year cycle
Reciprocity INTO Hillsborough County for State Registered (Local) Contractors  
Local Specialty and State Registered (Certificate of Competency)
 $280  $140 – 2 year cycle

Things To Consider

  • You must renew your registration every 2 years
  • State Registered and Local Specialty Contractors may renew as inactive one renewal cycle only (2 years) without penalty
  • If you have a State of Florida CERTIFIED license, you only need to register it with Hillsborough County, and do not need to go through our licensing process
  • The license process will require testing on both the trade and basic Florida business law.
  • If you were previously licensed and let it lapse for longer than 2 years, but less than 5 years, you can apply for reinstatement
    • You may have to retest
    • If you have let your license lapse for longer than 5 years, you will need to reapply as if you have never had a license and will need to take the appropriate exam and pay the full fees
  • Regarding Reciprocity:
    • The exams are recognized for reciprocity in almost all counties in the state of Florida. We reciprocate only with jurisdictions that reciprocate in turn.
    • Normally, when applying for reciprocity to another jurisdiction, you will not have to retest if your scores meet the requirements of that jurisdiction. You will still need to meet other additional requirements of any jurisdiction.
    • If you are seeking reciprocity INTO Hillsborough County, please use the State Registered (Local) Contractors application found below in the How To section
    • If you need a letter of reciprocity FROM Hillsborough County, please email your request to and include the following information:
      1. License number
      2. First and last name of license holder
      3. Email address of jurisdiction needing the letter
      4. Payment Authorization Form

How To

Download and fill out the appropriate application completely and attach all required information:

Completed Contractor Licensing application can be emailed to

*Fillable forms may not work with many browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Edge, etc.) - if you have issues with the form, do one of the following:

  • Download the form to your computer and open it up with a PDF viewer, such as Adobe Acrobat Reader
  • Download the printable version of the form
  • Try using the Internet Explorer browser to open the PDF


Get Help

(813) 272-5600