Apply for a Single-family/ Duplex Natural Resources Permit


Jump to:



If you are building a single-family home or duplex or you are placing a mobile home on a piece of property, you will need a natural resources permit for land alteration, tree removal and landscaping for single-famil/duplex projects (LAL-SFD). This application is required for a building permit for single-family home, duplex and mobile home projects, and you must submit it at the same time as you submit your building permit application.


  • Application fee: $60
  • Grand Oak inspection (if needed:) $55


What you will need for the LAL-SFD application:

  • Type of activity
  • Reason for activity
  • Address of the property
  • Property size, zoning, subdivision name, block, lot and Section/township/range
  • Folio #
  • Property owner name, email, phone, fax and address
  • Applicant name, email, phone, fax and address
  • Completed application sufficiency checklist
  • No tree affidavit (if applicable)
  • No fill affidavit (if applicable) or a grading plan
  • Grand oak pruning affidavit (if applicable)
  • Plot plan drawn to scale – see the application sufficiency checklist in the application packet for complete requirements
  • Copy of the Health Department Permit & approved site plan identifying the septic system (if applicable)
  • Copy of the wetland setback encroachment authorization (if applicable)
  • Model home information (if applicable)

Things To Consider

  • A plot plan must accompany the application, indicating the proposed land alteration/tree removal/landscaping activities and the proposed structural improvements and other information
  • An LAL-SFD permit is required for:
    • new single-family and duplex home construction
    • placement of a new mobile homes on a vacant lot
    • mobile home replacement if further than 40 feet from the existing mobile home
    • a new septic drainfield is necessary for a replacement mobile home
    • other land alteration is proposed
    • lots with an existing home that will be demolished and a new conventional or modular home will be constructed
    • lots that are currently vacant
  • An LAL-SFD permit is not required if:
    • a detached building is proposed for a lot with an existing home
    • a lot currently supports a mobile home that will be replaced by another mobile home within 40 feet from the existing mobile home and no other land alteration is proposed
    • a pool or addition is proposed for a home that is occupied
  • An LAL-SFD permit is valid for two years from the date issued
  • You must barricade any existing trees that will remain on the site.
    • You can find the diagrams for the barricades on the last page of the application packet.
  • We will only approve tree removal in accordance with our Land Development Code (LDC)


How To

If you are apply for a building permit through the HillsGovHub portal, you will be applying for an LAL at the same time. There is no need for a second application.

For all other circumstances, please email your completed application to

What's Next

  1. You must turn this in with your building permit application
    • We will review the application, plans and any accompanying documentation at the same time, but separately from the building permit application
  2. We will notify you if any corrections are needed
  3. If everything is in order, we will issue the LAL-SFD permit
    • Once approved, we may issue the building permit

Get Help

(813) 272-5600

Get Started