If you want to plant new street trees or replace trees you are removing, view the list of the approved species you can plant in Hillsborough County.
If you plan to remove a street tree, view our Residential Tree Removal Guide for additional important information regarding their removal.
- F - Flowering
- E - Evergreen
- D - Deciduous sheds leaves annually
- N - Native
- P - When replacing a street tree 2 palms must be planted for every street tree removed.
- M - Permitted for use in a designated area within Hillsborough County only. View map for details.
- X - Not acceptable for planting in internal or terminal landscape islands elements
- C- Distance from the tree to curb or sidewalk must be a minimum 8' and minimum of 15' from utilities/hardscape
Click on the common name to view or download information sheets on the tree, which includes pictures and/or illustrations of the trees.
|Common Name||Scientific Name||Characteristics|
|Crape Myrtle||(Lagerstroemia indica) Single Trunk, Standard||F, D|
|Cypress, Bald||(Taxodium distichum)||N,D|
|Cypress, Pond||(Taxodium ascendens)||N,D|
|Elm, Winged||(Ulmus alata)||N, D|
|Holly, American||(Ilex opaca)||N, F, E|
|Holly, Dahoon||(Ilex cassine)||N, F, E|
|Holly, Topal (East Palatka, Eagleston)||(Ilex x attenuata) Including cultivars: 'Eagleston', 'East Palatka'||N, F, E|
|Holly, Yaupon||(Ilex vomitoria)||N, F, E|
|Japanese Blueberry||(Elaeocarpus decipiens)||E|
|Magnolia, Southern||(Magnolia grandiflora) Includes cultivars such as: 'Blanchard', 'Bracken Brown Beauty', 'Miss Chloe'||N, F, E|
|Magnolia, Southern||(Magnolia grandiflora 'Little Gem')||N, F, E|
|Maple, Florida||(Acer floridanum)||N, D, X|
|Maple, Red||(Acer rubrum)||N, F, D, X|
|Oak, Laurel||(Quercus laurifolia)||N, D, C|
|Oak, Live||(Quercus virginiana) Includes cultivars such as: 'Highrise', 'Cathedral', 'Millenium'||N, E, C|
|Oak, Shumard||(Quercus shumardii)||N, D, C|
|Palms, Date (Medjool, Canary Island Date)||Phoenix spp. (excluded Roebellini) 1 tree = 1 tree||E|
|Palm, Foxtail||(Wodyetia bifurcata)||E, P|
|Palm, Mule||(Butiagrus nabonnandii) 1 tree = 1 tree||E,|
|Palm, Ribbon||(Livistona decipiens)||P|
|Palm, Sabal||(Sabal palmetto)||N, E, P|
|Palm, Washington||(Washingtonia robusta)||E, P|
- Apply for a tree removal permit
- Apply for a Single Family Duplex Natural Resources Permit
- Protective barrier requirements
- Residential Tree Removal Guide | Guía de Remoción de Árboles Residenciales
- Approved Tree and Hedge Materials List
- Hillsborough County Pruning Best Practices
If you have Natural Resource questions that are not answered here, submit a Natural Resources Inquiry or call the Natural Resource Unit at (813) 627-1300.