Apply for a POS Backflow Assembly Permit

Only licensed plumbing contractors or underground utility contractors (if applicable) can apply for a backflow assembly permit

Jump to:



This is a stand-alone permit, also known as a sub-trade permit.


General Fees

  • State surcharge for building permits: 3% or $4 min.

Permit Fees

  • Backflow (general) $77 per backflow

Things To Consider

  • Licensed contractors can submit applications in person, by mail or fax
    • Homeowners cannot apply for backflow permits
  • Permits are valid for 180 days after we issue them
  • The permit will extend for an additional 180 days when you request an inspection and it passes
  • If this is not at point of service (POS) you must apply for a plumbing permit

How To

  1. Download the application
  2. Submit the application in person Mon - Fri from 8 AM to 4:30 PM or by mail to:
    Permit Office at County Center
    601 E. Kennedy Boulevard, 19th Floor
    Tampa, FL 33602

*Fillable forms may not work with many browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Edge, etc.) - if you have issues with the form, do one of the following:

  • Download the form to your computer and open it up with a PDF viewer, such as Adobe Acrobat Reader
  • Download the printable version of the form
  • Try using the Internet Explorer browser to open the PDF

What's Next

  1. Staff will review the application, plans, if applicable, and any accompanying documentation
  2. We will notify you if any corrections are needed
  3. If no corrections, or corrections are completed satisfactorily, we will notify you when the permit is ready
  4. Walk-ins are normally done while you wait
  5. If a plan review is required (usually commercial permits) you must drop the application off
  6. Contractors
    • For in person applications, you or your authorized agent* can pick-up the permit
    • For mail-in or faxed permits* – we will mail you the permit
  7. Pay full permit costs in person or fax credit card information*
  8. Submit your notice of commencement* (NOC) (if applicable)
    • an inspection cannot be scheduled unless a recorded and certified NOC is submitted to Building Services
  9. Schedule inspections*

*Find forms and links in the Resources section below

Get Help

(813) 272-5600

Get Started