Apply for a Building Permit


Jump to:



You can obtain a building permit to cover residential and commercial construction activities within unincorporated Hillsborough County. This includes permits for all construction on single-family and multifamily homes, pools, screen enclosures, signs and walls, and all commercial and industrial construction. It also includes permits for activities such as electrical, roofing, mechanical, and plumbing.


General Fees

  • State surcharge for building permits: 3% or $4 min.

Permit Fees

See Fee Schedule


What you will need for the application:

Things To Consider

  • A building permit is required by any owner, contractor  or authorized agent of the contractor who desires to:
    • construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy of a building or structure
    • or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical, or plumbing system
  • If your property lies within the City of TampaCity of Temple Terrace, or Plant City, contact your respective building department
  • Owners must appear physically at the permit office to submit the application
    • your name MUST be on the deed for the property to apply for the permit
    • you must live at the address on the permit – no rental or commercial properties
      • if this is for a non-owner occupied property, only a licensed contractor can apply for the permit
    • you can’t send a relative, friend or agent to apply for the permit
      • this includes those holding a power of attorney or a legal representative
  • If the property is held by a corporation, LLC or other business/financial entity, only a licensed contractor can apply for the permit
  • Permits are valid for 180 days after we issue them
    • The permit will extend for an additional 180 days when you request an inspection and it passes
  • If you need to occupy the structure prior to completion, need temporary power for the project, or have a commercial stocking request, you must also fill out a Application for Temporary Certificate of Occupancy (TCO), Electrical Release and/or Commercial Stocking

How To

  1. Download the application
  2. Submit the application in person Mon - Fri from 8 AM to 4:30 PM to a permitting office location:
    County Center
    601 E. Kennedy Blvd., 19th Floor
    Tampa, FL 33602
    SouthShore Regional Service Center (Residential permits ONLY)
    410 30th St. SE
    Ruskin, FL 33570

What's Next

  1. Staff will review the application, plans and any accompanying documentation
  2. We will notify you if any corrections are needed
  3. If no corrections, or corrections are completed satisfactorily, we will notify you when the permit is ready
  4. Contractors
    • You or your authorized agent can pickup the permit
    • Sub-contractor verification form required at time of pickup
  5. Owners
    • Only the person on the application can pickup the permit
  6. Pay full permit cost at the time of pickup
  7. Submit your notice of commencement (NOC) (if applicable)
    • You can't schedule an inspection unless a recorded and certified NOC is submitted to Building Services
  8. Schedule inspections
  9. Obtain a certificate of completion or occupancy (if applicable)

Find links for bolded items in the Resources section below

Get Help

(813) 272-5600

Get Started