Open Burning Restrictions

We prohibit open burning without a permit. You can get a free open fire permit from the Fire Marshal’s Office.

Open fire permits are allowed for:

  • Camp fires
  • Bonfires
  • Ceremonial fires
  • Religious fires

Clearing land for construction or agricultural reasons

Our Environmental Protection Commission (EPC) handles permits for open burning permits for:

  • initial land clearing of vegetation
  • initial land clearing for mineral operations
  • clearing of rights-of-way for public highways or roads
  • clearing for flood control and water drainage channels

For railroad workers and farmers needing agricultural burning, visit Florida Forest Services burn authorizations or call (863) 940-6701.


For more information, call the Fire Marshal’s Office at (813) 744-5541.