Open fire permit requirements
For most open burning we require a permit.
Open fire permits requiring a permit:
- Camp fires
- Ceremonial fires
- Religious fires
You can get a free open fire permit from the Fire Marshal’s Office.
No permit is required if you have a small fire pit, like those sold at home improvement or other stores.
When using a fire pit, you must follow these rules:
- burn only clean, dry wood
- have the pit a minimum of 25 feet from any structure
- only use for keeping warm or cooking
Clearing land for construction or agricultural reasons
Our Environmental Protection Commission (EPC) handles permits for open burning permits for:
- initial land clearing of vegetation
- initial land clearing for mineral operations
- clearing of rights-of-way for public highways or roads
- clearing for flood control and water drainage channels
For railroad workers and farmers needing agricultural burning, visit Florida Forest Services burn authorizations or call (863) 940-6701.
For more information, call the Fire Marshal’s Office at (813) 744-5541.