The Center FAQs

The Center for Development Services is Hillsborough County’s property development and permitting customer service center for the building industry and residents. Customers can visit The Center for assistance with everything from zoning counseling and construction permitting to development review and right-of-way permitting.

The Center is located on the 19th Floor of County Center, at 601 E. Kennedy Blvd. in Tampa. Hours of operation are Mon.- Fri. 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. for customer service; and 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. for building permits and payments.  

Frequently Asked Questions about The Center


Q: How can I find out if my property is properly zoned for a day care center, home beauty salon, or other commercial use?

A: Zoning counselors at The Center can help identify the permitted uses of your property or the appropriate zoning for your intended use. To obtain the zoning designation of a property please visit the Hillsborough County Map Viewer at

Q: How do I obtain a driveway permit or a permit for work within a County right-of-way?

A: An application must be submitted detailing the location of the proposed driveway or the intended use of the right-of-way. Requirements and applications can be obtained at The Center.

Q: Where can I get contractor licensing information?
A: Contractor licensing information is available at the County’s website,

Q: Do I need a permit to install a fence?

A: Typically, a permit is not required to install a fence. However, it is recommended to talk to a zoning counselor to identify height and placement restrictions.

Q: Is a permit required to build a shed or detached garage on my property?

A: First, check with a zoning counselor to see if the proposedstructure is allowed. If allowed, and it is 150 sq. ft. or more, a building permit is required. Applications can be submitted at The Center.

Q: What is required to remove (vacate) a portion of utility easement on my property?

A: A petition to vacate must be filed. After review, the request is considered by the Hillsborough County Board of County Commissioners at a public hearing. Vacating petitions and information can be obtained by contacting Real Estate & Facilities Services at (813) 272-5810

Q: What types of construction need a permit?

A: A permit is required to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical, or plumbing system.

Q: Do I have to be a licensed contractor to perform work on my own house?

A: No. Property owners can obtain their own permits to work on their owner-occupied home or residence they are constructing for their own use and occupancy.