If a property owner wants to change the uses that are allowed on their property, they must seek a modification to the underlying zoning district, or re-zone the property. Zoning is the basic means of land use control employed by local governments in the United States. A change in the zoning (rezoning) requires a noticed public hearing before a Land Use Hearing Officer and final approval by the Hillsborough County Board of County Commissioners. There are two types of zoning districts for unincorporated Hillsborough County: a Standard zoning district and a Planned Development zoning district.

Take Action