Cockroach Bay Eco Tour and Paddle
The Cockroach Bay Ecosystem Restoration Project represents one of the largest, most complex coastal ecosystem restoration projects ever developed for Tampa Bay. The 20-year restoration project was initiated and managed by the Hillsborough County and the Southwest Florida Water Management District's Surface Water Improvement and Management Program.
Join for an educational adventure through mangroves tunnels, to top of Mount Cockroach, and back through time as we look at aerial photos of the site from as far back as 1938 to see how the area has evolved over the years. See photos from previous tours.
Things to know
- Cost: $5
- Pay when registering
- Participants should meet at Cockroach Bay Nature Preserve Trailhead
- Weather related cancellations are possible
- We will provide rain checks in case of cancellation
- Minimum age is: 12
- Under 18 must be accompanied by adult
- Canoe information
- $25 for canoe/kayak rental - both solo and tandem
- Arrive at least 30 minutes early if you are renting a canoe or kayak
- Email Chris Kiddy to check availability
- Any groups with more than 2 participants will need to rent multiple kayaks
- Any riders under the age of 18 must be on a tandem kayak with an adult Kayak renters are responsible for providing Coast Guard approved life jackets for any small children
- The length of the paddle is ~2.5 miles
- Maximum amount of participants: 14
Things to bring
- Required to bring
Water in refillable container
- Recommended to bring
Change of clothes
Water-proof bag to keep personal items dry
For more information, email Chris Kiddy or call (813) 853-1177.
Cockroach Bay Preserve
3839 Gulf City Rd.
Ruskin FL, 33570
August 31, 2019 | 10:00 AM