Starry Night Guided Hike
Have you ever wondered what happens in our preserves after dark? Find out how the night comes alive on this short guided sunset and night hike through the beautiful Alafia River Corridor Nature Preserve South.
This hike will count toward the 2019-2020 Hillsborough County Hiking Spree, and completing 8 of the selected hikes will earn you an official Hiker Patch or Medallion.
Just under two miles in length, this hike will loop through pine flatwoods and pass next to oak hammocks.
Listen with us as the night comes alive with the sounds of owls, frogs, crickets, and maybe even a fox or two. Learn about the nocturnal animals that call your favorite preserves their home and how to spot and listen for them after dark.
Bring a headlamp and you may even see some of your favorite wildlife looking back at you!
Things to know
- Cost: $5
- Participants should meet in the Preserve parking lot
- Weather related cancellations are possible, raincheck provided if cancelled
- Minimum participant age: 10 years old
- Under 18 must be accompanied by adult
- Walking/Hiking information:
- Length: ~2.5 miles
- Maximum participants: 20
Things to bringRequired to bring
- Water in refillable container
- Closed-toe shoes
- Small backpack with hydration system
- Long-sleeved shirt
- Change of clothes
- Bug spray
- We will be hiking in the dark but using our flashlights and headlamps to light up our stops and look for signs of wildlife
For more information, email Rebecca Winch or call (813) 210-7019.
- Registration is required
- The register link below will take you to a page that lists all of our current ECO Tourism events
- If you do not currently have a Parks & Rec account, after adding the event to your shopping cart, you will be able to register for a new account
Alafia River Corridor Nature Preserve South
931 Old Welcome Rd.
Lithia FL, 33547
January 18, 2020 | 5:30 PM