Lower Green Swamp Nature Preserve
A majority of preserves and some parks are now open. Visit the Closures & Reopenings page for more info.
Location and Hours
Bridge temporarily closed
The bridge over the creek in the northwest section of the preserve connecting the blue and yellow trails is temporarily closed for repairs.There are signs at the bridge access points noting that it is out of order.
For more information and updates, please call the preserve office at (813) 757-3713.
Park Description: The Lower Green Swamp Nature Preserve is a 12,800-acre tract located at the northeast corner of Hillsborough County. Formerly known as Cone Ranch and Audubon Ranch, the property was managed by the County’s Public Utilities Water Department from 1988 to 2010, when it was transferred as part of the County's Jan K. Platt Environmental Lands Acquisition and Protection Program (ELAPP). The majority of this property has been managed with a cattle lease since 1992. In 2013, approximately 3,000 acres were opened for public access on hiking and equestrian trails. Over the next 20 years, the cattle lease area will be decreased as native longleaf pine habitat is restored.
Things to know
- Cattle Lease
- There is an active cattle lease on the Nature Preserve
- Harassment of any cattle is strictly prohibited
- Cattle are excluded to the Southwest Loops (Yellow Trail) only
- Gates separating trails are not locked, but must be closed after visitors pass through - these are the Red/Yellow and Yellow/Blue gates
- Horseback riding
- Horses must be thoroughly broken, properly restrained, and prevented from straying unattended
- All riders must carry proof of a negative Coggins test
- Riders under age 16 must wear a helmet
- We do not provide horseback riding rentals; you must bring your own horse
- A portable toilet is located across the trail from the office, near the southernmost bridge
- Bird Watching
- Equestrian Trails
- Hiking Trail
- Walking Trails