Tampa Bay Fire Departments Host Holiday Safety Media Event with Live, Interactive Demonstrations
Hillsborough County, Fla. (Nov. 21, 2019) - The holidays can be joyous, but they also can be dangerous. Frying turkeys, drying Christmas trees, crying kitchen disasters, and flying off the roof while attempting to put up holiday lights all are real dangers around the house and each will be addressed on Friday morning during a holiday safety event put together by area fire rescue departments.
To demonstrate proper holiday fire safety, Bay-area fire departments are joining forces again to host a media event on Friday, Nov. 22, at the Hillsborough County Public Safety Operations Complex, 9450 E. Columbus Drive in Tampa.
Fire departments from Hillsborough County, Tampa, Temple Terrace, and St. Petersburg each will cover a holiday safety topic with an interactive demonstration and availability for interviews. This year's topics and demonstrations have been arranged to accommodate live shots and time for one-on-one interviews throughout the morning. The various departments will be available for demonstrations beginning at 5:20 a.m. and ending at 9 a.m. Scheduled live demonstrations will occur every half hour including a turkey frying demo at 6:20 a.m., and a Christmas tree fire demo at 7:20 a.m.
Schedule of events, demonstrations, and corresponding departments:
- 5 a.m. - Welcome and Safety Briefing with Hillsborough County Fire Rescue Chief Dennis Jones
- 5:20 a.m. - HCFR 911 Dispatch Training Officer interview on the top Hillsborough 911 calls during the holidays
- 5:50 a.m. - Turkey Preparation (scheduled demonstration) Tampa Fire Rescue
- 6:20 a.m. - Turkey Frying (scheduled demonstration) All participating departments
- 6:50 a.m. - Car Fires and Travel Safety (scheduled demonstration) St. Petersburg Fire Rescue
- 7:20 a.m. - Holiday Kitchen Fire Hazards (scheduled demonstration)
- Temple Terrace Fire Department
- 7:50 a.m. - Christmas Tree Fire Demonstration (scheduled demonstration) All participating departments
- 8:20 a.m. - Holiday Fire Hazards including candles and space heaters (scheduled demonstration) Temple Terrace Fire Rescue
- 8:50 a.m. - Ladder safety/most common Holiday injuries (scheduled demonstration) HCFR
Interviews in Spanish will be available.
WHAT: Holiday fire/safety media event
WHEN: Friday, Nov. 22, 2019. Location opens at 4:30 a.m. for media set-up
WHERE: Public Safety Operations Complex, 9450 E. Columbus Drive in Tampa