Hillsborough County Commissioners to Resume In-Person Public Comments at Regular BOCC Meetings
Hillsborough County, Fla. (July 26, 2021) - In-person public comment will return in limited capacity at the regular Board of County Commissioners (BOCC) meetings, beginning Aug. 4. The BOCC sets aside 45 minutes at the beginning of its regular meetings to hear from the public. In an effort to maintain accessibility, Commissioners will continue with the convenient virtual option as well.
COVID-19 coronavirus protocols have restricted in-person public attendance at the BOCC's meetings held in the second-floor Boardroom of the Frederick B. Karl County Center, 601 E. Kennedy Blvd., since March 2020.
The primary focus for Hillsborough County remains public safety. Seating in the boardroom will be limited, with some overflow seating available in the first-floor multipurpose room. Speakers may address the Board from either location. Visitors are strongly encouraged to wear face coverings and to practice social distancing. Groups will be limited to four people.
Virtual public comment will continue to be an option.
Here are the guidelines:
- All speakers, whether virtual or in-person, will be required to sign up in advance at HCFLGov.net/SpeakUp.
- Online registration for both virtual and in-person public comment will open 48 hours before the meeting.
- Sign-ups for both virtual and in-person public speaking opportunities for public hearings and public comments close at 9 a.m. on the day of the meeting.
- Residents speaking on scheduled agenda items will be called before those speaking on non-scheduled agenda items. Prioritization is on a first-come first-served basis.
- In-person registration will also be accepted on the day of the meeting, in the lobby of Frederick B. Karl County Center, located at 601 E. Kennedy Blvd.
- Assistance will be available on-site between 8:30 a.m. and 9 a.m.
- Unless the Board Chair designates otherwise, speakers are limited to three minutes.
- Audiovisual presentations such as Power Points, digital photos, audio, and video files for public comments are not accepted at this time. However, presentations may be submitted to the Clerk's Office for insertion into the official record. Please email any submissions to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Presentations of proclamations, certificates, and other recognitions will continue to be virtual for the time being.
For more information, visit HCFLGov.net/SpeakUp. For general county information, call the Customer Service Center at (813) 272-5900.