Hillsborough County Updates Public Comment Process for Regular Board Meetings
Hillsborough County, Fla. (Aug. 16, 2021) - Hillsborough County has an updated process for signing up and participating in the regular Board of County Commissioners (BOCC) meetings beginning at the Aug. 18 meeting.
The new process provides equitable options for residents who wish to participate in these meetings, and a fair and safe system for those attending the BOCC regular meetings in person at Frederick B. Karl County Center, 601 E. Kennedy Blvd.
All speakers, whether virtual or in-person, are still required to sign up in advance at HCFLGov.net/SpeakUp. The online registration opens 48 hours before the meeting. Sign-up assistance will be available the day of the meeting between 8:30 a.m. and 9 a.m. in the lobby of County Center. Sign-ups for both virtual and in-person public speaking opportunities for public hearings and public comments close at 9 a.m. on the day of the meeting.
Important guidelines are as follows:
- The first 12 in-person sign-ups will be allowed in the boardroom.
- Those in the boardroom must wear a mask.
- The multi-purpose room will be available for those residents who have signed up to speak after the first 12 persons have registered, or for those people who cannot wear a mask due to a medical condition.
- The Chair will call on speakers by name in the order in which their requests to speak have been received. Prioritization is on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Boardroom and multi-purpose room seating will be available only to those who are scheduled to speak during public comment.
- Unless the Board Chair designates otherwise, speakers are limited to three minutes.
- Audiovisual presentations such as Power Points, digital photos, audio, and video files for public comments are not accepted at this time. However, presentations may be submitted to the Clerk's Office for insertion into the official record. Please email any submissions to: email@example.com.
- Guests who wish to watch the meeting from County Center will be accommodated in the lobby and must wear a face covering.
- Speakers will be asked to leave the boardroom and the multi-purpose room after sharing their comments.
- Presentations of proclamations, certificates, and other recognitions will continue to be virtual for the time being.
For more information or to sign up to speak, visit HCFLGov.net/SpeakUp. For general County information, call the Customer Service Center at (813) 272-5900.