Hillsborough County Issues Mandatory Evacuation for Zone A Ahead of Hurricane Ian
Hillsborough County, Fla. (Sept. 26, 2022) - Hillsborough County has issued a mandatory evacuation for Evacuation Zone A as well as those in mobile and manufactured homes and residents in low-lying areas prone to flooding starting at 2 p.m. today, Monday, Sept. 26. The County has also issued a voluntary evacuation for Evacuation Zone B. Hillsborough County Administrator Bonnie Wise signed the evacuation order today in order to protect residents in coastal areas from expected storm surge.
The County will open 43 shelters at 2 p.m.
Below is the list of shelters now open to residents:
General Population Shelters
- Burnett Middle, 1010 N Kingsway Rd., Seffner (pet friendly)
- Durant High School, 4748 Cougar Path, Plant City (pet friendly)
- Lockhart Elementary, 3719 N 17TH St., Tampa
- Middleton High School, 4801 N 22nd St., Tampa
- Newsome High School, 16550 Fishhawk Blvd., Lithia
- Pizzo Elementary, 11701 Bull Run, Tampa
- Reddick Elementary, 325 West Lake Dr., Wimauma
- Sickles High School, 7950 Gunn Highway, Tampa (pet friendly)
- Steinbrenner High School, 5575 W. Lutz Lake Fern Rd., Lutz (pet friendly)
- Valrico Elementary, 609 S Miller Rd., Valrico
- Benito Middle, 10101 Cross Creek Blvd., Tampa
- Boyette Springs Elementary, 10141 Sedgebrook Dr., Riverview
- Sessums Elementary, 11525 Ramble Creek Dr., Tampa
- Cypress Creek Elementary, 4040 19th Ave. NE, Ruskin
- Hammond Elementary, 8008 N. Mobley Rd., Odessa
- Jennings Middle, 9325 Govenors Rd., Seffner
- Marshall Middle, 18 S. Maryland Ave., Plant City
- Mulrennan Middle, 4215 Durant Rd., Tampa
- Nelson Elementary, 5413 Durant Rd., Tampa
- Shields Middle, 15732 Beth Shields Way, Ruskin (pet friendly)
- Turner Elementary, 9020 Imperial Oaks Blvd., Tampa
- Wharton High School, 20150 Bruce B. Downs Blvd., Tampa
- Bartels Middle, 9190 Imperial Oaks Blvd., Tampa (pet friendly)
- Barrington Middle, 5925 Village Center Dr., Lithia (pet friendly)
- Brandon High School, 1101 Victoria St., Brandon
- Cimino Elementary, 4329 Culbreath Rd., Valrico
- Knights Elementary, 4815 N. Keene Rd., Plant City
- Martinez Middle, 5601 W. Lutz Lake Fern Rd., Lutz
- McKitrick Elementary, 5503 Lutz Lake Fern Rd., Lutz
- Pride Elementary, 10310 Lions Den Dr., Tampa
- Smith, Sgt. Paul Middle, 14303 Citrus Pointe Dr., Tampa (pet friendly)
- Summerfield Elementary, 11990 Big Bend Rd., Riverview
- Tomlin Middle, 501 N. Woodrow Wilson, Plant City
- Turkey Creek Middle, 5005 Turkey Creek Rd., Plant City
- Dorothy York Innovation Academy , 5995 Covington Garden Drive, Apollo Beach
- Bevis Elementary, 5720 Osprey Ridge Dr., Lithia
- Bowers-Whitley Career Center, 13609 N. 22nd St., Tampa
- Wilson Elementary, 702 English St., Plant City
- Cannella Elementary, 10707 Nixon Rd., Tampa
- Erwin Tech, 2010 E. Hillsborough Ave., Tampa (pet friendly)
- Sumner High School, 10650 County Road 672, Riverview (pet friendly)
- Strawberry Crest High School, 4691 Gallagher Rd., Dover (pet friendly)
- Riverview High School School, 11311 Boyette Rd., Riverview (pet friendly)
The special-needs shelters are only for residents with medical issues that require electricity assistance or cognitive issues that would not be supported in a general population shelter.
Residents bringing pets to one of the four pet-friendly shelters need to bring a sturdy carrier for each pet that allows room for the pet to stand up and move around, as well as a collar with a leash and supplies for each pet to last seven days. More information on how residents can prepare their pets can be found here: Pet Disaster Planning.
Residents are urged not to evacuate to hospitals, as they are not shelters.
HART Evacuation Routes
Hillsborough Area Regional Transit Authority (HART) will continue to run the regular bus route service until further notice. Residents needing transportation assistance to a shelter should proceed to the nearest bus route. Bus drivers will transport evacuees to a bus transfer center, where they will be taken to the closest open shelter.
Get Connected. Stay Alert.
For more information on Hillsborough County's response to Hurricane Ian, visit HCFLGov.net/StaySafe and sign up for the HCFL Alert system. Additionally, you can follow Hillsborough County on social media at Facebook, Twitter, and Nextdoor for updates.
Residents without digital access are encouraged to call 833-HCSTORM or 833-427-8676, the County's storm information line, for information on Hurricane Ian or visit HCFLGov.net/StaySafe.