Pizza: America's Favorite Food
The irresistible concoction of dough, tomato paste, cheese, and toppings is one thing most Americans agree on. Old or young, man or woman, pepperoni or mushroom… Doesn't matter. Pizza rules.
Hillsborough County, with its proliferation of tomato farms and processing plants, helps satisfy the nation's craving for pizza. To some people, Ruskin is synonymous with tomatoes. In recent years,
subdivisions have sprouted where many tomato fields once stood. But the County still produces a lot of the fruit, a staple of pizza and so many other foods.
Here are some facts about pizza, provided by National Day Calendars:
- Americans eat an average of 23 pounds of pizza per person each year
- Pepperoni is the most popular type of pizza
- Seventeen percent of all U.S. restaurants are pizzerias
- One in eight Americans over age 2 will eat pizza on a given day
- The first pizzeria in the United States opened in 1895 in New York City
Learn more about tomatoes, one of Hillsborough County's best-known commodities.Photo caption: Pizza from the Boltsborough event celebrating the Tampa Bay Lightning going to the Stanley Cup finals