Building Blocks Constructed Early Thanks to Head Start
For more than 51 years, Head Start/Early Head Start Programs have been providing Hillsborough County children with education and wellness programs that focus on meeting the needs of each individual student. Head Start/Early Head Start aims to develop students on all levels - physical, intellectual, social, and emotional.
By preparing students to succeed in all aspects of life, much of the program's work goes unnoticed, but is the foundation each student continues to build upon throughout their lives.
Did you know that Hillsborough County Head Start/Early Head Start:
- Teaches more than 1,400 kids a year
- Has 19 centers throughout the County
- Is available to children with special needs
- Had 174 teachers in 2016-2017 school year
- Encourages senior citizens to be involved with the Foster Grandparent program
- Serves more than 55,500 meals to students a year
- Has more than 1,400 volunteers
- Offers a program for first-time expectant parents that also reserves a spot for the unborn child in the Head Start/Early Head Start program for when the child is old enough to attend
- Assists more than 2,600 families through its programs
- Classrooms have one teacher for every 10 children in the 3-5 years old program and one staff person for every four infants/toddlers
Enrollment is available for children up to 5 years old and for first-time pregnant women in their first or second trimesters. To learn more, visit HCFLGov.net/HeadStart.