County Addresses Safety and Comfort of Taxis and Limos
There's a new set of requirements for taxicabs and limousines.
When Hillsborough County recently took over regulation of vehicles for hire, it set standards of service to help ensure the safety and comfort of passengers and drivers.
Here are some things you need to know:
- The new guidelines apply to taxis, limos, and other traditional vehicles for hire. They do not pertain to rideshare services such as Uber and Lyft. Those companies have their own regulations and standards.
- Drivers must accept cash, credit cards, and debit cards
- Riders with disabilities may not be refused transportation because they are accompanied by a service animal.
- Abusive language and discourteous behavior by drivers is prohibited.
- Drivers must take the shortest route to a passenger's destination, unless the passenger requests a different one.
- Service providers only may charge rates established by the Hillsborough County Board of County Commissioners.
Dissatisfied riders should attempt to contact the vehicle-for-hire company to resolve minor issues. If a customer is not pleased with the company's response, or if a driver refuses service, overcharges, is reckless or unsafe, or is not licensed, they may contact or file a complaint with Consumer Protection Services.
Consumer Protection Services oversees regulation of vehicles for hire in collaboration with the Hillsborough County Tax Collector, law enforcement agencies, and citizen advisory groups.