3 Ways Utilities Scammers Try to Target You
There's no shortage of scams in the world, and some of those target customers of Public Utilities. Staying safe from these scams means knowing the difference between official Public Utilities interactions, and those of imposters.
If you receive suspicious mail
- Look for the Hillsborough County logo on the envelope, letter, or card - Public Utilities won't send you mail without it.
- Also look for one of the County's customer service numbers, or information for an official County contact.
- Call the Public Utilities customer service center to report what you've received.
If you receive a suspicious phone call
- Public Utilities will not call you to request payment over the phone.
- Never give sensitive information like your account number, credit card information, or Social Security Number over the phone.
- If you have caller ID, take note of the phone number and report it to Public Utilities customer service center, they can confirm whether or not the number is from Public Utilities.
- If you believe you have given your information out wrongly, call your local law enforcement to alert them. You can also contact the County's Consumer Protection Services if you think you were involved in a deceptive transaction or unfair business practice.
If a stranger comes to your house or approaches you claiming to be from Public Utilities
- Water quality team members will always have identification such as: a Hillsborough County shirt, a County badge with their photo, and a vehicle with the County logo and a yellow license plate.
- Water quality team members will never ask for payment, ask to enter your residence, or attempt to sell a service or product.
- Call your local law enforcement and Public Utilities customer service to alert them if you think you are the target of a scam.
I case of these or any other possible scammer situations, you can always call our Public Utilities customer service center at (813) 272-6680. Team members will verify whether your situation is official Public Utilities business, or a possible scam. Issues involving a consumer transaction and unfair or deceptive business practices can be directed to Consumer Protection Services at (813) 635-8316.