Prepare Your Household for Coronavirus
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has simple guidelines that can help you prepare your household in the event that a COVID-19 outbreak occurs in the community. There are also preventative actions that can help you and your loved ones avoid the virus, including cleaning and disinfection tips. Elderly individuals and people with underlying health conditions may be particularly vulnerable to the virus, so preventative measures are especially important if you interact closely with those individuals. Follow these steps to prepare your household:
Clean and disinfect your home
- Routinely clean "high-touch" surfaces, like faucets and light switches
- Wash your hands frequently throughout the day, especially when cleaning
- Use disposable gloves and discard after each use. Clean hands immediately after gloves are removed
Create a household plan of action
- Learn about the emergency operations plan at your child's school and your employer
- Meet with household members and neighbors to discuss your plan
Plan for home-based actions
- Plan ways to care for those at greater risk of complications
- Choose a room and bathroom in your home that can be used to separate sick household members from those who are well
- Meet with household members to discuss your plan
Get Connected. Stay Alert.
For more information on COVID-19, and any other potential emergency in the region, visit HCFLGov.net/StaySafe and sign up for the HCFL Alert system. Additionally, you can follow Hillsborough County on social media at Facebook, Twitter, and Nextdoor for updates.