$100 Million In COVID-19 Recovery Assistance Available for Small Businesses
Hillsborough County has more than $100 million in financial assistance programs to help reopened local small businesses that were economically damaged by the COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic.
Business owners across the county (including Tampa, Temple Terrace, and Plant City) may apply for one of three programs:
- For businesses with up to $3 million in annual revenue: Kickstart Small Business for up to $10,000 in working capital
- For businesses with up to $20 million in annual revenue and:
- hired or rehired workers since May 1, 2020: Back to Work for up to $2,000 per employee in payroll incentives
- made coronavirus safety improvements since March 1, 2020: Safe at Work Matching for up to $10,000 matching reimbursement for the cost of qualifying workplace improvements directly related to mitigating the spread of COVID-19
The County used three phased application periods in order to give a head start to the smallest, most economically vulnerable businesses in the community. The Full Access period for applications opens July 27 for Hillsborough County small businesses:
- With between $40,000 and $20 million in annual revenue
- Forced to close by government orders OR economically damaged by the COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic
- Located anywhere in Hillsborough County, including the cities of Tampa, Temple Terrace, and Plant City
Applications will be accepted through Dec. 1, 2020, or until funding is exhausted.
Learn more about the programs and which one may be right for your business by attending an upcoming one-hour presentation, with live question-and-answer sessions by visiting the R3 Financial Assistance for Business page.
Some of the top mistakes made by applicants include:
- Applying for an incorrect program for which they don't qualify
- Selecting forced to close, but really weren't
- Inconsistent documentation, where the business name is different on application, tax forms, W-9, and/or Sunbiz
Businesses may only receive one Economic Recovery financial assistance program, even if they may otherwise qualify for more than one program. Professional business consultants are available at no cost to assist small businesses in deciding which financial assistance program is right for their individual business needs. Contact Entrepreneur Services or call (813) 204-9267 to request a virtual or phone appointment.
Additional information on all the programs is available online or by calling the Hillsborough County Economic Recovery Financial Assistance Support Line at (888) 393-7509.