Preparing for an Emergency Shelter During COVID-19
Before a hurricane strikes, it's important to have a plan. If your family's only option for shelter is a Hillsborough County emergency shelter, there are a few extra precautions to keep in mind during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Make sure your evacuation kit includes items to protect you from COVID-19, especially:
- hand sanitizer
- disinfectant wipes
- two cloth face coverings for each person
- Practice social distancing
- Wash your hands often
- Cover your face when sneezing or coughing
- Avoid high-touch surfaces, handrails, as much as possible
- Keep your living area clean with disinfectant wipes
- Follow all shelter policies and rules
- If you are in a shelter and start to feel sick, let shelter staff know immediately
You can find more health and safety tips for hurricane season in the CDC's guidelines. If you haven't yet come up with your evacuation, check out this decision tree to figure out which shelter option is best for your family.