"Drop Savers" Poster Contest Winners Announced
Even children understand how important it is to conserve vital and limited water resources. This is why every year Hillsborough County Water Resources and the City of Tampa Water Department work with Hillsborough County Public Schools on the Drop Savers poster contest.
Students in grades K-12 are encouraged to create a poster depicting a water conservation idea, in slogan form, drawing form, or both, focusing on the importance of water conservation. The first-place students' schools are awarded bottle-filling water stations and reusable water bottles for the students' art classes. These bottle-filling stations save money because students don't need to buy single-use bottles of water, and the stations help the environment by eliminating plastic bottles from the waste stream. In addition, the first-place posters were submitted in the American Water Works Association's Florida Section competition, with more prizes and statewide recognition on the line.
This year, 12 students from 11 schools took home top prizes:
Division 1 (kindergarten and first grade)
- First Place: Ayaan Sangomola, Chiles Elementary School
- Second Place: Sarah Justus, Citrus Park Elementary School
- Third Place: Clayton Taylor, Northwest Elementary School
Division 2 (second and third grade)
- First Place: Cooper Bess, Stowers Elementary School
- Second Place: Delmi Claytor, Seminole Elementary School
- Third Place: Yesali Miranda, Davis Elementary School
Division 3 (fourth and fifth grade)
- First Place: Mahi Patel, Chiles Elementary School
- Second Place: Medha Kandakumar, Tampa Palms Elementary School
- Third Place: Felix Mota, Kimball Elementary School
Division 4 (sixth through eighth grade)
- First Place: Gabriel Lopez, Carrollwood Day School
Division 5 (ninth through 12th grade)
- First Place: Miki Lin, Brandon High School
- Second Place: Esmerelda Hernandez, Sickles High School
Ayaan Sangomola and Miki Lin also received honors in the statewide competition, with Ayaan taking first place and Miki securing third place in their respective divisions.
These students' winning entries in the 2022 Drop Savers Poster Contest are crystal-clear examples of what being a good environmental steward is all about.
Learn how you can save water at home and on the go.