File a Complaint Against a Business
Our department reviews requests to investigate companies doing business in Hillsborough County. In some cases, we partner with other appropriate agencies to address concerns. All complaints must be submitted in writing.
Reporting complaints can help get you relief, raise public awareness about issues with a business, settle miscommunications between you and the business, and possibly avoid turning a complaint into a legal matter.
- Gather all of the information on the company you can, including:
- Company details
- Company representative names
- Method(s) of contact
- Dates and times of contact
- The nature of the complaint
- Amount of money involved (if applicable)
- Products and/or services involved
- Supporting documents
- Complete this online form, or
- Call Consumer Protection Services at 813-635-8316
- We will contact you as quickly as possible, normally within 3 business days.
- Your complaint will be evaluated and either assigned to a Consumer Protection Investigator or referred to another agency, if that is more appropriate.
- If it is assigned for investigation, we will notify the business about your complaint and will request they respond within 10 business days.
- If their response is not received during that time, we will take additional steps to contact them.
- We attempt to resolve the issue with the participation of all parties.
- After we initiate your complaint, you can expect to receive additional information within 15 business days, based upon the response of the subject of the report.