Apply for a Memorial Marker
Hillsborough County established the Memorial Marker Safety Program to commemorate those who have died as a result of a vehicle related crash on County roads. In an effort to increase public awareness of highway safety, it is the County's policy to allow the placement of memorial markers within the County-owned right of way.
Only County issued and installed memorial markers are allowed in the County right of way. Memorial markers are fabricated and installed by Public Works, and are installed as close to the site of the accident as possible while still maintaining safety requirements. The exact marker location will be at the discretion of the County.
Memorial markers are provided at no cost to the applicant and are allowed to remain for one calendar year after the date of installation.
- Family members or friends of the deceased may make requests for memorial markers. Requests from friends require the written approval of the deceased's family.
- Requests for memorial markers must be received within 90 days of the date of the crash.
- Memorial markers will be allowed to remain for one calendar year after the date of installation. However, markers that are removed, damaged, or stolen will not be replaced.
- Memorial markers are not allowed within the limits of active construction projects.
- There will be no activities while the memorial marker is in place that pose a safety hazard to the public or that violate any provisions of Chapter 316 of the Florida Statutes and the Hillsborough County Parking Ordinance concerning stopping, standing, parking, or obstruction of traffic on public roads.
- All unauthorized markers and memorials on public rights of way will be removed by the County.
- Requests for memorial markers must be submitted in writing to the Public Works Department using the roadside Memorial Marker Request Form.
- The County will review the form, obtain a copy of the crash report, and investigate the site of the crash to determine the location for the marker installation.
- The County will fabricate the memorial marker sign and develop a schedule for its installation. The requestor will be notified of the schedule.
- Once the marker is removed, the applicant will have the option to retrieve the marker from the County.