The Local Mitigation Strategy is a document that identifies potential hazards that may strike Hillsborough County and the cities of Tampa, Temple Terrace, and Plant City. Additionally, the strategy includes an assessment of the areas vulnerable to various hazards, and identifies possible actions that can mitigate potential damage in the future.
The Local Mitigation Strategy includes the county's Floodplain Management Plan and the county's Community Wildfire Protection Plan.
What is Mitigation?
Any action taken to prevent or reduce damages (loss of life and property) associated with natural and manmade disasters.
- Forms of Mitigation
- Land-Use Management
- Construction & Making your Building Stronger
- Regulation and Standard Implementation within High Risks Areas
- Working with Industry
- Retrofitting structures, public outreach and education
The County is required by the state to maintain a Local Mitigation Strategy in order to receive pre-disaster mitigation grant funds. The current Local Mitigation Strategy was updated and approved by the Board of County Commissioners.
The Hillsborough County BOCC approved the LMS on July 15, 2020 during their regular meeting. The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) approved the LMS on August 19, 2020 and the Florida Division of Emergency Management (FDEM) approved it on August 24th, 2020.
- BOCC Letter to FDEM - 07-31-2020
- FEMA Approval Letter - 08-19-2020
- FDEM Approval Letter - 08-24-2020
- 06-16-2020 LMS Resolution Temple Terrace
- 07-15-2020 LMS Resolution Unincorporated Hillsborough
- 07-27-2020 LMS Resolution Plant City
- 08-06-2020 LMS Resolution City of Tampa
Public input is a key part of the process. Residents are asked to comment on any project currently listed in the plan and suggest other projects not currently being considered. Residents and community stakeholders also are invited to attend Local Mitigation Strategy Working Group meetings and become involved.
The Local Mitigation Strategy Working Group continues to meet quarterly. Please visit the LMS Working Group page for more information, including the meeting schedule, agendas and meeting minutes.Contact the Office of Innovation & Resiliency