Shelter in place means finding a safe location indoors and staying there until you are able to leave safely.
At home, work, school, or anywhere, sometimes sheltering in place correctly is necessary for certain emergency situations including:
- Potentially hazardous material
- Contaminated air
- Certain weather events like a tornado
Local authorities will alert you should there be a shelter in place warning in your area. If you receive this warning, it's important to take appropriate action immediately.
Follow these steps:
- Go inside immediately, take family and pets with you
- Close and lock your doors and windows, close air vents and fireplaces
- Turn off your fans, air conditioning, and heating systems
- Turn off all exhaust fans in kitchens, bathrooms, or other spaces
- Go into an interior room with as few windows as possible
- Stay in place until advised it's safe to leave
- Monitor local TV stations, radio stations, or official Hillsborough County social media for updates as available