Hillsborough County has an economic recovery financial assistance program to assist local small businesses economically damaged by the COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic. The $100 million Kickstart Small Business program aims to soften the protracted economic injury to the small business community inflicted by the sustained COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic and complement other local, state, and federal assistance programs.
This is a financial assistance program, not a loan. Therefore, the funds do not need to be paid back. Awarded funds can be spent on any business-related expense, such as employees’ wages, mortgage, rent, vendor invoices, utility bills, payroll and other costs, so long as these expenses are not paid for by insurance or another federal assistance program. Receipt of other local, state, or federal assistance (such as One Tampa or PPP/EIDL relief loan funds) will not impact a business’ eligibility for this program.
- Awarded - $38.7 million
- Applications paid or processing payment - 2,583
- Average payment per business - $14,972
Full program details and FAQs are available on the application portal or by calling the Economic Recovery Support Line toll-free at (888) 393-7509 (8 AM to 6 PM, Monday-Friday).
Applications will be accepted through Dec. 1, 2020, or until funding is exhausted.
General Eligibility (all must apply*)
- Small for-profit business principally-located in Hillsborough County
- Suffered significant loss of business revenue or job losses directly related to the COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic
- Annual gross business revenue between $40,000 and $20 million
- For businesses formed during 2019, gross business revenue can be prorated over the number of months since the establishment of the business as evidenced by the business's documentation filed with the Florida Department of State, Division of Corporations
- Business in operation before Jan. 1, 2020
- Open for business and operational in some capacity at the time of application
*Complete program guidelines and full criteria are available with the online application
Award amounts are tiered and determined by the number of employees for each business:
- 0 to 2 employees - $10,000
- 3 to 10 employees - $20,000
- 11 to 20 employees - $30,000
- 21 employees and more - $40,000
Required Documents to Apply
- Scanned copy of the front of the requestor's driver's license
- IRS Form W-9
- 2020 Quarter 1 IRS Form 941 (unless you are a sole proprietor)
- 2019 business tax forms (one of below based on business structure; 2018 forms if 2019 not available):
- Individual (Sole Proprietorship, Single Owner LLC): Schedule C (Form 1040)
- Corporation (C-Corp, S-Corp, LLC): 2019 Corporation Income Tax Return (Form 1120 or Form 1120-S)
- Partnership: 2019 Return of Partnership Income (Form 1065)
Learn About the Program
Virtual Information Session
A brief presentation by Economic Development staff will provide an overview of the updated Kickstart Small Business program, information on qualifying criteria, details on applying, and resources to assist potential applicants. A live question and answer session will follow the presentation.
Previous Virtual Information Session Information
What other recovery resources may be available for your business?
Professional business consultants are available at no cost to assist small businesses in identifying assistance that may be available for their individual business needs. Contact Entrepreneur Services or call (813) 204-9267 to request a virtual or phone appointment.
Subscribe to the ECC Newsletter to get notice of additional small business recovery resources.
Funding Source for financial assistance
The financial assistance program was created by the Hillsborough County Board of County Commissioners to direct Federal Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act funds as part of Hillsborough County’s Rapid Response Recovery Program (R3) , a comprehensive initiative to provide immediate relief, long-term community health and stability, and a full and robust economic recovery.