Tampa Bay Wheelchair Buccaneers will complete in several competitions throughout the season around the country, including in Tampa. The league is the first of its kind for adults with physical disabilities looking to play America's favorite sport.
USAWFL is a program of "Move United," a nonprofit organization devoted to the promotion of parasports among youths and adults with physical disabilities. League expansion was made possible through the NFL Salute to Service Award and the Bob Woodruff Foundation.
The Tampa Bay Wheelchair Buccaneers Football Team will consist of up to 21 players with physical disabilities. The team will travel with 14 players to the 2023 competitions.
To be eligible to be on the team, players:
- Must be at least 18 years or older as of August 1, 2023
- Must have a permanent physical disability which consistently reduces the function of the lower limbs to a degree where they cannot run, pivot, block or tackle, at the speed and with the control, safety, stability and endurance required to play running football as an able-bodied player
- A player’s disability must be of a nature that it can be objectively verified by acknowledged medical investigations (i.e. X-ray, CT, MRI, etc.)
- Must have an elite performance sport wheelchair
- Full wheelchair requirements can be found in the USA Wheelchair Football League Rulebook on page 29 and page 30
- If a player doesn’t have the appropriate wheelchair, the team will assist in finding a League-approved wheelchair
- Must be able to compete in all USA Wheelchair Football League 2023 competitions
- Travel for competition is covered by the team
- Must participate in at least one practice a week between June 1 - November 1 on Wednesdays and Fridays, 6 to 9 PM at Miller's Life Center
For more information email Mary Cales or call (813) 416-0467.