The 2021 Inaugural Season is here!
Hillsborough County Adaptive Sports has been selected as an expansion team for the USA Wheelchair Football League and will begin playing in August 2021. The league is the first of its kind for adults with physical disabilities looking to play America’s favorite sport.
The Hillsborough County Wheelchair Football Team will play in two USA Wheelchair Football League competitions during the 2021 season:
- September 11-12 in Phoenix, Arizona
- October 30-31 in Chicago, Illinois
2021 Team Tryouts
The Hillsborough County Wheelchair Football Team will be holding its 2021 inaugural season official team tryouts for any eligible athlete.
- Friday, July 9 from 6 to 9 PM
- Saturday, July 10 from 8 AM to 5 PM
- All People’s Life Center, 6105 E. Sligh Ave. in Tampa
- Registration required – sign up link will be posted when registration is available
The Hillsborough County Wheelchair Football Team will consist of up to 21 players with physical disabilities. The team will travel with 14 players to the 2021 competitions.
To be eligible to be on the team, players:
- Must be at least 18 years or older as of August 1, 2021
- Must have a permanent physical disability which consistently reduces the function of the lower limbs to a degree where they cannot run, pivot, block or tackle, at the speed and with the control, safety, stability and endurance required to play running football as an able-bodied player
- A player’s disability must be of a nature that it can be objectively verified by acknowledged medical investigations (i.e. X-ray, CT, MRI, etc.)
- Must have an elite performance sport wheelchair
- Full wheelchair requirements can be found in the USA Wheelchair Football League Rulebook on page 29 and page 30
- If a player doesn’t have the appropriate wheelchair, the team will assist in finding a League-approved wheelchair
- Must be able to compete in all USA Wheelchair Football League 2021 competitions
- Travel for competition is covered by the team
- Must participate in at least one practice a week between August 1 – November 1 on Wednesdays and Fridays, 6 to 9 PM at All People’s Life Center
For more information email Mary Cales or call (813) 416-0467.