Upper Tampa Bay Trail
Location and Hours
Waters Avenue underpass temporarily closed
The Waters Avenue underpass at Channel Park will be closed due to overpass maintenance effective Jan. 12, 2022. Anticipated closure is 2 weeks. The Channel Park crosswalk at Waters Avenue will remain open for trail users.
The Upper Tampa Bay Trail is located in residential northwest Hillsborough County. Currently, the trail runs along the west shore of Channel A from a trailhead off Memorial Highway/Montague Street, past Waters Avenue, Linebaugh, and then due north to Gunn Highway, Ehrlich Road and ending at Peterson Road Park.
The trail continues north from Van Dyke Road north and then east to the trailhead on Lutz Lake Fern Road, connecting to the Suncoast Trail at the Veterans Expressway.
Trailheads and Access south to north:
- Memorial Trailhead: 7499 Montague Street
- Cold water and parking
- Directions: Take Hillsborough Ave. west past the airport, Memorial Highway and Sheldon Road. Turn right on Montague Street. Follow Montague to the trailhead a short distance on the right.
- Channel Park Trailhead: 9201 W. Waters Avenue
- Restrooms, parking, water and drink machines
- Directions: Hillsborough Ave. West to Sheldon Road. Turn Right (north) onto Sheldon Road to Waters Ave. Turn left (west) onto Waters Ave. The trailhead is a very short distance on the right.
- Wilsky Boulevard Trailhead: 10314 Wilsky Blvd.
- Parking, cold water and restrooms
- Directions: From Tampa, take Waters Ave west to Hanley Ave. Head north on Hanley Ave, Hanley becomes Wilsky Blvd at Linebaugh. Cross Linebaugh, the trailhead is on the left/west side of Wilsky Blvd., before the on ramp to the Veterans Expressway.
- Ehrlich Road
- Parking, water, map
- Directions: From Tampa, take Ehrlich Road west toward Gunn Highway. The trail parking area is just east of Gunn Highway, south of Ehrlich, and adjacent to an old house. It is not directly on the trail and could be easily missed. The trail is two houses to the west, just before the intersection, next to Bally Hoo Restaurant. The water cooler and map are just south of the parking along the trail.
- Peterson Park: 8203 Peterson Road and Rails Road
- Parking, restrooms
- Directions: From Tampa take Gunn Highway north. Peterson Road is a mile north of the Gunn Highway/Sheldon Rd intersection at Sickles High School. Turn right onto Peterson Road. The park and the northern terminus of the trail are located ½ mile on the left.
- Lutz Lake Fern Trailhead: 7020 Lutz Lake Fern Road
- Parking, restroomsDirections: On the south side of Lutz Lake Fern Road east of Gunn Highway and west of the Veterans Expressway.
- Barbecue Grills
- Bird Watching
- Equestrian Trails
- Hiking Trail
- Paved trail
- Picnic Shelters
- Walking Trails