Flood maps are changing for coastal areas, generally west of Interstate 75 in southern Hillsborough County, south of Interstate 275 and Tampa International Airport in Tampa, south of Linebaugh Avenue in Tampa, and near the lower Hillsborough, Alafia, and Little Manatee rivers. Learn more about the updates.
Flood maps, also known as Flood Insurance Rate Maps, provided by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) are a useful tool for assessing a property’s flood risk, and also are a factor in flood insurance and building requirements. Most homeowners insurances do not cover flood damage. Talk to your insurance provider about your policy and consider if you need additional coverage.
Flood zones and evacuation zones are different
Flood zones are areas mapped by FEMA for use in the National Flood Insurance Program. Evacuation zones are based on hurricane storm surge zones determined by the National Hurricane Center using ground elevation and the area's vulnerability to storm surge from a hurricane.
Enter your address in the field below to determine your Flood Zone. Listed below are the Zones and their respective flood risks. For more detailed information, see FEMA's Glossary of terms.
Moderate to Low Risk Areas
- Zone X - Floodplain area with a 0.2% (or 1 in 500 chance) or less annual chance of flooding. Includes areas of moderate flood hazard, such as base floodplains and shallow flooding areas, and minimal flood hazard, which may still have ponding and local drainage problems.
High Risk Areas (Special Flood Hazard Area)
- Zone A - 100-year floodplain, areas with a 1% annual chance of flooding and a 26% chance of flooding over the life of a 30‐year mortgage. Because detailed analyses are not performed for such areas, no base flood elevations are shown.
- Zone AE - 100-year floodplain, the base floodplain where base flood elevations are provided.
High Risk - Coastal Areas
- Zone V - coastal areas with a 1% or greater chance of flooding and an additional hazard associated with storm waves. These areas have a 26% chance of flooding over the life of a 30‐year mortgage. No base flood elevations are shown within these zones.
- Zone VE - coastal areas with a 1% or greater chance of flooding and an additional hazard associated with storm waves. These areas have a 26% chance of flooding over the life of a 30‐year mortgage. Base flood elevations derived from detailed analyses are shown at selected intervals within these zones
If you think the flood map boundaries are incorrect, you can apply for a Letter of Map Amendment. This is a federal document that certifies that your home or property is not required to have flood insurance, because the primary structure and all attached areas (screen enclosures, garages, etc.), including the lowest adjacent grades, are out of the high-risk area.
For more information on the county’s flood maps, call the Hazard Mitigation Section of Public Works at (813) 635-5400 or Development Services at (813) 272-5600.