The Sunshine Line provides door-to-door transportation for elderly, people with disabilities, or low-income residents who do not have, or can’t afford their own transportation. Transportation is provided for medical and social service appointments, grocery trips, health and wellness, personal business and more. Trips are prioritized based on trip purpose and provided on a space-available basis. Non-medical trips are provided on a space-available basis.
Eligibility and fees
Eligibility for the program is based on income, age, disabilities, available transportation and where the transportation is needed. Fees are charged for some trips and are determined on a sliding scale based on income. The fees range from no fee to $5 per trip.
Enrolling in the program
In order to enroll in the door-to-door service program, you need to call Sunshine Line at (813) 272-7272, Monday - Friday from 8 AM to 5 PM to find out if you are eligible. When calling, you will need to provide the following information:
- Address and telephone number
- Social Security number
- Date of birth
- Disability type
- Household income
- After you are enrolled, you can make reservations by calling Sunshine Line Monday through Friday, 8 AM to 5PM
- They can be made up to seven days in advance
- Must be made no less than two days in advance
- Return trips are scheduled when you make your trip reservation
- All vehicles are wheelchair accessible
- We are unable to transport wheelchairs:
- larger than 30" wide by 48" long when measured 2" from the ground
- that weigh more than 600 pounds when occupied
- Transportation is provided to the nearest location available
- Drivers will not go inside buildings to find you
- Drivers will offer assistance to and from the building, and into the vehicle, including assisting with the seat belt, and securing wheelchairs
- Changes to return times will be accepted only if possible
To enroll, find out any other information on the Door-to-Door program or make reservations for transportation, call Sunshine Line at (813) 272-7272, Monday - Friday from 8 AM to 5 PM.