How to surrender your pet:
- PRC only accepts pets from Hillsborough County residents. Proper ID/proof of residency is required at the time of turn-in.
- Pet intake is from 10 AM to 6 PM, Tuesday through Sunday
- The in-take process can take more than an hour to complete. Peak times are first thing in the morning and around noon. Longer wait times can be expected at these times. Plan accordingly.
- Residents bringing in dogs or cats that are coughing or sneezing will be asked to keep the pet outside of Pet Resource Center and contained in the resident's vehicle to avoid possible contamination. PRC veterinary staff will provide an initial examination prior to the pet entering the building to ensure the safety of the pets inside the building.
- At the first appointment, shelter staff will vaccinate the dog. Two weeks later, when the dog is surrendered by its owner, the surrender fee will be waived.
- Owners who do not follow this two-week procedure will be charged $165 for testing, vaccination, and possible isolation, in addition to the surrender fee
What will I need?
A completed Animal Intake Form
- You can do this at intake, or you can download and fill the form in advance to save time
- Valid photo identification
- Proof of Hillsborough County residency
- Veterinary records or any other information about the animal
If you can no longer care for your pet and family or friends is not an option, the Humane Society of Tampa Bay may be able to assist. For more information call (813) 876-7138.